I began with an unstained canvas with rough charcoal sketch and proceed with a colour transparent wash after I'd sealed it with some spray fixative. After the transparent wash I started to apply paint opaquely with the most difficult area - face, just to get it rolling. Once I was happy with the face (apparently more mannish in my opinion than in the reference) I put some effort in the collar. The rest of the painting leave some space for breathing of that initial wash and I think it helps to keep a main focus on the face. Since I converted a woman to a man I won't try to deceit that so the name of the final painting is Turban Fellow. (I must admit that from very beginning I thought that it is the man)
Initial sketch + wash (I put that transparent wash after sealing the drawing with fixative - I think it was pastel fixative)
Turban Fellow (oil on canvas 10x11 inches)
This is one of the few paintings that will make it's way to the party of paintings for sale - Once It's completely dry and in a frame.